Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2020

My bra and the TSA: -When things go well and not so well.

They don't call it TSA in here, just airport security. Different names same function.

OK, I recon, they might be more civilized than the usual thugs however not a reason to take my luck one bridge too far away as with age I "pass" less and less. Exit the looks, enter stealth mode.

These days I'm quite on the move and...

Dilemma. A 2h30m flight on a turboprop was ahead. They shake, vibrate and generally speaking fly below or into the bumpy winter weather. Funny they still use them on more than city-hops.

Consequently my boobs will need significant "fast autobahn drive" class support. And I'm more than done with my usual travel-friendly but otherwise soullessly oppressive bralettes.

Bold move. So it'll be a loose hoodie, some shirt, a sheer slippery nylon camisole and, for the first time ever on a plane, my Elila 1301.

It's smooth, hyper comfy, fabulous hold and support, no massive steel wires to trigger metal detectors and somehow stealth under baggy clothes. Sounds like a plan !

Car safely parked at the long term spots, carry-on luggage on the inspection lane, boarding pass at hand, what can go wrong ?

TSA Airport security check bra issues.
TSA security bra issues.
Beeeeeep ! Oh, crap... Bummer. Forgot to remove coins & car keys from my pockets.

Would you please concede a closer scan Sir ?

Ouch. After all he's doing his job even more, with a smile. A split second to switch plans.

Yes, sure, but before you proceed, be aware that I have gender related issues and wear a supportive brassiere with two small side wires.

Not a problem at all, please pick your bag and join the cabin just there, a colleague will handle the case as soon as that. And have a good day! Always with a smile. No more sir or madam, the conversation switched gender-less. How cool is that?

A vivacious smiling slightly plump lady in gloves. Friendly ? Surprisingly, yes, kind of. Nothing to worry they are sworn to strict privacy, just a visual assessment if I don't mind?

Did she stop breathing?

Is there something wrong ma'am? No, thanks for the collaboration all is fine I can proceed, have a nice flight.

Does she mind a question? Well it depends on the question.

You seem surprised, first time?

Short silence. Oh no, it happens, she is not allowed to disclose statistics. Only that, how to say, do I mind to disclose the brand of this bra for her private information? Sure, more than happy to oblige.

That was it. The shortest and most unusual "girls-talk" on account. Civilized countries rock !

They had full body scanners on the return trip. Characteristic British accented lady coldly inquires if I have something to declare. Equally politely I disclose my case.

Sorry Sir, you'll have to take it off if you want to travel, we don't make the rules, sorry for the inconvenience, a supervisor is available for further details. Shows the way to a cabin.

The offending object in a neutral white bag is scanned separately and coldly returned. Sorry for the inconvenience, have a nice flight Sir. Thanks m'am, you too, have a nice life.

Morality ? Guess my boob splashing compressive bralettes will be back in the travel equation until it all resolves to a higher cleverness from those who don't seem to understand the purpose of bras.

To their discharge, I have to add that most airports in civilized countries handle passenger screening on "impersonated gender" basis. That is, if you "pass" then you'll be screened according to the gender that you impersonate.

Understandably "under dressing" or "in disguise" could short-circuit their logic and trigger false positives.

Immigration and ID might be another eyebrow rising issue so it's better to renew that old passport with one closer to your actual facial traits.

That's all I have for you today, but beware, my educated guess is that there are places where such situations would quickly escalate to potentially even more "unwanted consequences", jail term. As long as there are idiots on the loose, don't risk it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment